Many IBMi customers purchased their system in the 80s and 90s and are dedicated to that system.
These are some of the reasons :
1. Reliability – almost never goes down.
2. Security – no known virus.
3. A lower TCO (total cost of ownership) than most servers.
4. DB2 manages itself. No need for data base administrators.
5. IBMi is constantly evolving. It is a highly scalable and robust architecture.
How to preserve and extend the life of your investment….
- Consider outsourcing your operations. Some of the reasons are operations resources are no longer needed, reduce the risk of losing data due to missed backups, and 24×7 management.
- Modernize your applications. Green screen is not preferred by most users. There are many options to replace your green screen environment.
- Review your processes. Automate manual processes like document management and data entry.
- Upgrade your release to the latest PTF levels.
- Consider replacing your system with a new Power System. Save on hardware and software maintenance.
Who uses IBMi ?
Without being particularly specific, IBMi is usedby Fortune 2000 companies in one way shape or form between Services, Software and Hardware lines of business.
The current publicly available IBM i support roadmap shows release support for IBM i until 2026. As new releases are announced, the IBM i Support Roadmap will be updated to reflect the associated support dates.